Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Sports Fix Audio - February 11, 2009

Thanks to everyone who tuned in today...another great show on 90.5 The Kat. Andrew here from the Sports Fix. As promised, just as the day expires, here is the audio from the show.

Amy Brown - First Base on SHSU Softball team











Ashton Mitchell - junior on SHSU Men's Basketball Team











Jay Busbee - Yahoo.com Sports NASCAR Blogger From The Marbles












OFF AIR - After interview recaps:

Amy Brown

Amy came in Wednesday a few hours before the show to interview with me and she was very nervous yet excited to talk about the team and the season. She had just found out that the evening's game against Texas A&M was to be pushed back an hour to 5:30pm so she was a little more relaxed and was not having to run around as much. We sat down and talked for a few minutes before the interview and I think she was expecting something a little different. I had no questions written out for her to look at. I had a crazy morning and was not 100% prepared, but many of my questions were in my head because I was looking forward to the interview all morning. So, as Amy sat there to be interviewed for the first time, I began pulling questions out of my ass. It worked pretty well. I think as we went along I became a little more nervous than she. I've always had the opinion that people who play sports are people to look up to, I have trouble just treating them like any other person. Not to mention when you have arguably the school's hottest student athlete sitting across from you, you can't help but be nervous. She had some great answers throughout and it didn't hurt when she is really easy to work with and tried hard to come up with the best answers. As we finished up the interview, the smile on her face was one of relief, I could tell, but I think she was also happy that she did it and she proceeded to ask if we could listen to it back.

We did listen to it as I hope you have as well. There were a few things that needed to be excluded, but overall I couldn't be less happy for her and for the show. We have had some great interviews, but I thought Amy's was up there with them. As for the game Wednesday evening, the team took on #5 Texas A&M at the Softball complex. I asked Amy off air about her spot in the batting order and thought she belonged in the 'three hole' and sure enough that is where she was on Wed. night. The Bearkats took an early 1-0 lead after Hailey Wiginton tripled to tripled to center field and scored on a single to right by Alex Survant. The Aggies tied in in the seventh on a solo home run by Holley Ridley. So extra innings were in store. The game went to the 14th inning where in the top of the inning, Alex Reynolds scored from first base on a single by Erin Glasco to give the Aggies their first lead. Brandi Crnkovic pitched a team record 14 innings striking out seven batters only giving up nine hits. The Kats stranded 18 runners on base. Amy Brown finished the game 1-for-7 with her hit coming in the bottom of the 14th inning in a valiant Bearkat game.

Thanks again to Amy Brown for the interview and best of luck to the Sam Houston State softball team this season!


Ashton Mitchell
I apologize for not having this interview available to those of you who are fans of Ashton Mitchell, Sam Houston State men's basketball, etc. I know we promised the interview and it did not work. I had the interview saved on my tape recorder and was trying to play it over the air, but it would not play. So here it is online for your listening pleasure. I was looking forward to this interview on Tuesday. I knew Ashton would be a great interview and he was. A class player on a class team playing for a class coach.

Boggan and myself show up to Johnson Coliseum late afternoon Tuesday as the team is wrapping up practice and wait to talk to him. The team is running a full court game simulation drill. They are looking pretty good. Team is passing the ball well, getting the ball to the basket and getting the shots to fall. As the team wraps up practice, it reminds me of the previous week when I watched a few minutes of the Sam Houston womens basketball team. They do a few situation drills then wrap it up with a meeting at mid court. After a 10 minute wait, Mitchell comes out and we get underway. I had spoken with Lance Pevehouse two weeks prior and he went out the next game and went scoreless, so I hoped I was not about to jinx our top player. The interview lasted 10 or so minutes, he seemed satisfied that practice went well and was excited about the game.

As for the game, Mitchell and the team got off to a very slow start. Points were few and far between and the Kats were down 26-20 at halftime. Both teams had issues pacing themselves as in the second half as scoring picked up, so did the foul calls. With just under nine minutes to play both teams would be shooting free throws the rest of the way. The Bearkats were down nine points, 52-43 with just under four minutes to play. A few three pointers including one by Ashton Mitchell get the team within four. A few turnovers on Nicholls State and Barkley Falkner scores and its a one point game with 14 seconds to play and the Bearkats have a chance to take the lead. Preston Brown is true with a 3 foot hook shot from the baseline and the Kats have their first lead of the game at 59-58. With 6.8 seconds to play, Justin Payne gets the inbound and travels the length of the floor on Mitchell. There was no help defense and Payne gets the shot to go with 0.5 to play. Mitchell's shot at the buzzer was no good. Mitchell had hit a shot at the buzzer of halftime. The team's 7-game winning streak was history. They travel to Corpus Christi to start another winning streak on Saturday.

Much thanks to Ashton Mitchell for giving us some time this week. Best of luck to him and the Sam Houston State Mens basketball team!


Jay Busbee
When I received the email reply from Jay, I honestly was surprised. He stated in his reply that it was "good to hear from me" and he was "looking forward to it." From that I had some pressure on my shoulders to put together a solid interview. I was not too worried. We had our first expert of the season coming in and I knew he would have some good stuff to say. So with the interview scheduled for mid afternoon on Tuesday and just receiving the email that night, I knew I had to come up with some good questions pretty quick. I tried my best. I sat in my 12:30 class and proceeded to write down all the quality questions that came to mind. I knew the interview would be fun. I like NASCAR, so does Boggan and this guy likes writing about it, I'm sure he also likes talking about it. I wrote out 13 questions for both Boggan and myself and I gave Jay a call. We started the interview and then that's when it happened. Boggan's first question throws it off. "Hey Mr. Busbee," he says before starting his question about Jimmie Johnson. Jay with the almost classic response. "Don't call me Mr. Busbee." So poor Boggan, thrown off by the lax shown by the blogger kinda stumbles into the question. We go through the interview and have a good time. I come up with a few more questions on the spot like I usually do and it ends on a grand note. We wrap up with Jay dropping a liner for the show and thank him again. Great interview.

Thanks again Jay Busbee for a great interview and everyone log on to FROMtheMARBLES.com

No comments: